Friday, September 03, 2004

Jam

I had the urge to eat something sweet, and we had some bread in the house for a change, so I decided to have some bread with something sweet on it. Jam seemed like a good idea. I looked in the fridge, and found two jars of jam tucked away. I checked the use-by dates on the jars. One said September 1998, and the other said May 2002.

Disappointed, I put them back. And then I realised that this was what I had been doing for the past six years, at least. I'd been putting them back. The fridge does get cleaned out occasionally, and I always put them back. The Man cleans the fridge sometimes, too. Obviously he also puts them back.

Why do we do this? Do we think that the jam will get younger if we just leave it for a while?

(As you may have guessed by now, we don't eat much jam.)

I ended up having toast with the only kind of honey I like. (Never mind the health benefits; it tastes divine.) This is the only food I order especially from home. I didn't think of it at first because I've never bothered with the toast before. I usually eat it with a spoon.

It was good on toast. I think I'll have another one. Perhaps I'll clean out those jam jars, too.

3 comments:

Audie said...

I'll have to try that honey. Typically I stay with Sue Bee unless I can't find it.

And I do the same thing with the Jam. :/ Strange isn't it.

Badaunt said...

To Audie: Be warned - manuka honey is quite pungent, and some people don't like it. I'm not a great fan of honey myself, although I'll eat it, but Manuka honey doesn't last very long around here. We order it from NZ by the carton. You can get it here, but not the good stuff, and buying it locally is about twice as expensive even with the shipping included.

Badaunt said...

Maybe the jam we bought didn't have enough sugar in it...? In any case, when I opened the jar it didn't look (or smell) too good.

Honey, on the other hand, lasts thousands of years, from what I remember. Didn't they find some in the Pharoah's tombs that was still edible? Weird stuff, honey.