Sunday, September 05, 2004

Multiple excitement

I don't know how much of this excitement I can take. We just had a huge thunderstorm, and then, as the last thunder rolled away in the distance, an earthquake.

The earthquake measured 4 on the Japanese scale. At that level,

Many people are frightened. Some people try to escape from danger.

Yup.

I sat on the bed (the safest place - it's soft and we have taken care that there are no heavy things around it to fall from high places, and besides, all the furniture is still nailed to the walls from last time), and did a little quaking myself. The house creaked alarmingly. It went on and on and on. And on. The lights swung and a few books fell to the floor. I think that was the biggest one we've had since the Big One.

Thunderstorms, earthquakes, typhoons... what am I doing in this mad place?

At least for a 4 we aren't supposed to get a tsunami as well. Very much bigger and we'd all be heading off for the third floor of the supermarket.

1 comments:

Badaunt said...

I should be careful what I wish for. Yesterday I was saying that nothing interesting happened, and today we get a thunderstorm, earthquake, and u-turned typhoon heading in this direction.

We don't get many earthquakes much around here - we can go years without any. That makes them all the more startling when they do happen. (Typhoons, however, blow through Japan every year with monotonous regularity, and thunderstorms are standard for this time of year.)