Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Thank you note

Dear Mr Weatherman,

Thank you so much for your response to my letter. Your swift action is deeply appreciated. I understand that it would have been too much for you to get the typhoon here as quickly as I required, but your manipulation of the weather forecasters was a masterly compromise. As you are no doubt aware, a boufu keihou (strong wind warning) is required to be in effect by 7 am for classes to be cancelled for the morning, so you can imagine how surprised and delighted I was when, just before leaving the house, the boufu keihou was announced. It was exactly 7 am, and outside all was calm. It had even stopped raining half an hour earlier. I had given up.

This feat becomes even more impressive when I look at the weather maps and see that the centre of the storm is still some way off. I don't know how you achieved this somewhat precipitous reaction from the weather forecasters (hypnosis? bribery?), but I am grateful. I am particularly grateful because although it is now half past nine and still not windy, the rain began again shortly after the wind warning, quickly reaching torrential proportions, and cycling to work would have left yours truly somewhat soggy.

Thank you.

Gratefully,
Badaunt

P.S. You may be amused to know that the university just called me to inform me that my classes were cancelled for the day. Wasn't it kind of them to take the trouble, half an hour after my first class would normally have started?





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious... If only we can count reluctance to leave the bed as a form of natural disater to avoid gonig to school.

~wulu

Badaunt said...

I'd never work!

It was really hard to get up in the morning on Thursday. It was completely dark in the bedroom, because the shutters were still up, and getting up seemed completely unreasonable.

But getting up early never seems reasonable to me. I'm not a morning person.