Thursday, December 30, 2004

Bad, BAD gaijin!

I have developed a new habit recently, since the electronic goods store in our neighbourhood was enlarged and they added a bigger, better digital camera selection . This store is in the same building as a supermarket, and with my new interest in digital cameras I like to visit and see what they've got when I finish at the supermarket. Not that I need a new camera; I have a perfectly adequate (cheap) one. I just like to play with the toys on display. I especially like to play with the more expensive ones.

Anyway, as I wander around playing with the display cameras, I always check to see if they have the option of switching to an English menu, just in case one day I'm rich enough to buy one of the really good cameras. If they have this option, I change the menus to English and leave them like that. (I don't, however, limit my activities to only the good cameras. If I have time I change them all, including the movie cameras. I don't limit myself to English, either, if there are other options.)

Yesterday I noticed that I was being followed at a discreet distance by a polite young store clerk who was picking up the cameras after I'd finished playing with them. When I did a second round I discovered he'd changed the menus back to Japanese.

Naturally, I changed them back to English again (except for the ones I set to Russian, German, or Spanish).

I wonder how long it will be before they politely ask me to STOP DOING THAT YOU STUPID GAIJIN? And I wonder how long it will be before I grow up?

2 comments:

tinyhands said...

If you find one that lets you enter a comment or phrase about the picture you just took you can leave a message for the guy following you. "I see you too!" If there are several with this feature, leave one or two words on each and let him reassemble them.

Isn't it fun playing games with people who don't know you're playing games with them?

Badaunt said...

Ooh, I didn't know that function even existed! I'll have to check for it.