Saturday, January 29, 2005

My bowels are just fine, thank you

A few days ago I got the feeling I was catching a cold. You know the feeling - you have a sort of almost sinus headache, and your nose doesn't feel quite right, and your throat is a tiny bit scratchy. There's a funny taste in your mouth and it's almost but not quite like you've got a cold. You don't have a cold. You have a pre-cold.

Since then I've been eating mikans (mandarin oranges) until my skin has turned yellow. I've also been cleaning out my sinuses twice a day, and taking a kind of Kampo medicine that often helps, helping myself to large doses of Vitamin C, and indulging in more than the usual spoonfuls of Manuka honey, because it's good for everything (and besides, it tastes heavenly).

So far my assault on this impending cold seems to be working. Today I feel fine. But earlier I was reading over some old blog entries - I've been blogging for a year! (I deleted some of the earliest archives, but really, it's been a year!) and wondered if perhaps I shouldn't fight this pre-cold quite so determinedly. If I actually get a cold, I will have an excuse to visit the obliging Dr Sanada again, and get some more of his wonderful medicine. It was thanks to Dr Sanada that I had my first ever flying dream, and I haven't had one since.

Also, it's a long time since anybody asked me how my bowels were.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I have a neti pot! I use it when my allergies get really bad in the summer. You're going to freak people out with that, you know.

Anne-nonymous

Badaunt said...

Will it freak them out more if I add that I don't actually bother with a neti pot, and use a plastic ketchup bottle instead? (It was never used for ketchup, you understand - I bought it new.)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, how clever! I thought the picture you linked was kind of large and scary. The pot I have is a small dainty white one, with elegant curves, etc. I have used my coffee mug at work in the staff room bathroom in an emergency situation though! I ought to get a ketchup bottle for it, I think it would work better. Or maybe a mustard bottle, I like yellow a bit better than red. It's more cheery to me.

Hee hee hee!

Anne

Anonymous said...

I need to stop saying "oooooh" now.