Thursday, March 03, 2005

Links in new windows

Until now I have always had links opening in new windows, because I thought that was polite to people with slow connections. I assumed that if they clicked on the link they would not have to hit the back button and wait for the page to reload if they wanted to come back to finish reading (if they did).

However, last night I read this article on Karlcore.com (link does NOT open in new page) in which he says:

During a recent usability test, I noticed that new windows had caused disorientation in all users who had experienced them. Primarily, this manifested itself in the form of a "broken" back button. When users experienced these new windows and wished to go back to where they came from, they were unable to. In fact, ALL participants needed to be informed by the test facilitator that a new window had opened and that in order to get back to the site, they needed to close the new window.
All users? I didn't realize I'd been confusing everybody so badly.

Warning to regular readers, do NOT expect my external links to open in new pages from now on. I will not change the old posts (too much trouble!), but from now on links will open in the same window unless otherwise specified. (The links in the sidebar will still open in new windows, though. Should I change those as well?)

2 comments:

melinama said...

This is fun, you can interview me if you like! Don't ask hard questions though.

BTW, I like links that open in new windows but I try to tell people that's what's going to happen...

Badaunt said...

Questions for Melinama:

1. When is the best time of day for you, and why?

2. How old were you when you started learning music, and how did you feel about it?

3. How many times have you moved house, and which time was the most memorable?

4. What was a time you said yes when you knew you should have said no? (Or vice versa.)

5. Who is one person from your past who you would like to find and say, "See? You were wrong!"?

(Feel free to adjust these questions to fit.)