Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Babbling green teacher

The Fates have apparently decided to punish me for going on about what a wonderful day I had yesterday. Today was a trial.

It started badly when the alarm went off and my tricky, cunning, LYING brain told me, very convincingly, that another five minutes wouldn't hurt. I believed this for an entire hour. Then I levitated out of bed and went straight into high speed, not slowing down until my second class. This means that my first students of the day have been introduced to a new, entirely baffling, and probably frightening teacher. I was awful. They sat there blankly for ninety minutes while I babbled at them.

My day ended, three only slightly less horrible classes later (less horrible for the students, that is), with a visit to the doctor. Matters had getting worse all afternoon and were fairly hair-raising by the last class, and I told him why.

He was delighted with me. I've done it again. I've got what everybody else is getting.

"YOU HAVE THIS VIRUS!" he bellowed (he always bellows), pointing at his infectious diseases report. "THERE ARE TWO. ONE IS RESPIRATORY AND ONE IS DIGESTIVE. LOOK! EIGHTY-FIVE PEOPLE AROUND HERE ALREADY GOT IT THIS MONTH!"

"Oh," I said, weakly. I felt pathetic. I belched dangerously.

"DON'T DRINK CONCENTRATED FRUIT JUICE!" he added sternly.

"Can I drink tea?" I asked. I didn't really have the energy for it, but felt compelled to go through the usual routine.

"YES! YES! TEA IS GOOD! DRINK TEA!" he said.

He gave me something to stop the nausea and something else to stop the diarrhea, and told me to call in sick tomorrow.

I won't, of course. Tomorrow I have only one class in the afternoon anyway, nearby, so I might as well do it (truncated) rather than go through the hassle of cancelling and all the red tape it would involve for a first day class. That one place is usually good about sick days, but first days are particularly tricky and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Cancelling first day classes at my Thursday/Friday job (my busiest days) would be professional suicide, and I won't do that, either. My boss would never forgive me, and never let me forget it. I would rather endure two days of feeling like crap than a year of him constantly reminding me how much trouble I caused him. (With a bit of luck I'll pass the virus on to him.)

"Does this thing last very long?" I asked the doctor.

"OH NO. NO NO NO!" he replied. "NOT LONG!"

But he has given me three days' worth of medicine. I suppose if the worst comes to the worst I'll be able to get by with taking that and not eating during the day until the weekend.

The last time I had something similar it was LAST days of semester. They are just as tricky to cancel as first days. But at least this time I got to the doctor more quickly, so I'm hoping it won't be quite so devastating.

The medicine seems to be working. I think it's safe to go to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>>With a bit of luck I'll pass the virus on to him.<<< LOL! You are too much, GoodAunt, but it's not funny at all that you should be sick----and to boot right at the beginning of classes. Be well quickly! :)

Gordon said...

Hope you feel better soon.

And I'm with Ms.Vile, drink lots of fluids!

Badaunt said...

Not water. Peppermint tea. Water was making me want to throw up. Peppermint tea for nausea - it's magic. (It probably works for sticking broken arms back on, too.)

But I only remembered that around midnight, when I was having trouble sleeping. I always forget I have peppermint tea on hand for emergencies, because I don't actually like it much and never drink it unless something like this happens. Had one cup, and slept 11 hours straight.

Today I'm feeling a bit better, but I won't risk eating anything until after class.

Megan said...

Get well soon!

Lippy said...

Poor you! I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm going to get some peppermint tea, too - sounds like it will be the perfect accompaniment to my wheatie bag. Nothing like a hot wheatie bag on a sick (or sore) tummy.