Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dedicated student

Today when I arrived at work, very early, I was almost the only one there, aside from the janitorial staff. But as I was walking across the campus I heard somebody call me.

"Me!" the voice said.

It wasn't a very loud voice, and I looked around.

"Me!" the voice said again, and I saw who it was. It was the campus cat.



This cat makes itself scarce when the students are around, although you sometimes spot it hiding out in the gardens under bushes, or behind buildings, or peeking through a fence warily. In the mornings, however, it shows no anxiety at being spotted. In fact it seemed to welcome the attention.

I tickled it under its chin, and it bowed. It is a Japanese cat, after all.



Well, it couldn't be bothered standing up to bow, but you could say that it followed the form of bowing without actually bowing.



Come to think of it, it bowed in the same way that my students study. Perhaps it has been taking lessons. After all, it is a university.


Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Does it speak Japanese?

Did you know that Swiss cows don't say Mooo! They say Muh! So what is Japanese for Meow?

Paula said...

Great pics! I need to start bringing my camera with me when I go out and about.

Badaunt said...

Ms. Mac: They say "Nyaa!" (Except the campus cat, which says, "Me!")

Paula: I've started taking it everywhere. Not having to worry about paying for film is SO freeing.

dom said...

What a nice cat !
French cows are selfish ,they don't say moo they say moi!