Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Telekinetic

We've been very lucky with the weather this year. We're in the middle of June, and it's still bearable. However, last week a passing typhoon pushed the rainy season rain front up from the south. This front had been hovering down there for a few weeks, as you can see in this weather chart from May 27th.



I've been holding the front down using only the power of my mind, and I hope everybody in Japan appreciates this. It's been a big strain. On Friday I was just too tired and let go for a moment, and the front instantly moved up. It rained and rained and rained, and humidity enveloped us like a mouldy old blanket.

A good sleep in on Saturday morning took care of things, though, and I was again able to apply my telekinetic powers to the rain front. By concentrating very hard I managed to push it down again, embarrassing the experts at the meteorological office who had announced the official beginning of the rainy season. I was helped along by a high pressure zone moving in from the northwest, and Sunday was a gorgeous day: sunny, clear, and dry.

But the rain front is starting to creep back again, and I don't know how long I can hold out.



I worked too hard today, and I'm tired. On the train, on my way home I wanted to apologize to the man opposite me, who was looking perfectly calm except for his fan, which was waving frantically. "I'll get onto it just as soon as I've had a rest," I wanted to tell him. "I know I've slipped up. Sorry."



But I didn't say it. I yawned, instead. Then I yawned again, and again. That first yawn was a big mistake. I'm sure you must have noticed how yawns breed. Sometimes you can't yawn once, and this was one of those times. My face now aches from yawning. My eyes are watering and the screen keeps going blurry. Writing this is not helping, although it is a useful demonstration of my telekinetic powers. Do you believe me now? There you are on the other side of the world, yawning because I MADE IT HAPPEN.

But yawns are easy. The weather is a bigger responsibility, and I think it's time for me to pass it on to someone younger.


Technorati Tag: , , ,

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

LOL!
:-)

The Village Idiot said...

Hey!

Quit messing with the weather. Yesterday it was 90 degrees here and must too muggy, today it's 60 degrees and much too rainy. Whatever you're doing in Japan is wreaking havoc here in New Hampshire. If you keep it up, I'll tunnel over there and give you a really dirty look.

melinama said...

My ex-mother-in-law felt that only by her constant vigilance, and her hands grasping the armrests tightly, was her plane kept in the air. She was absolutely exhausted on arrival. It worked, though.

Badaunt said...

Village Idiot: No, please! Not the really dirty look! If you give me the really dirty look I'll... I'll... CRY!

Melinama: Perhaps your ex-mother-in-law would like to take over the weather here for me?

Mary J. said...

Genius! Very funny!