Monday, July 25, 2005

Women glow, men perspire, and horses sweat

I just found an Apparent Temperature table which explains why summer nights around here are so damned uncomfortable.

Tonight, for example, we are expecting to get a low of 27 degrees Celsius, with relative humidity at 85%. That means, according to the table, that the 'apparent temperature' will be 33 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately, however, this level of so-called comfort will not be reached until six in the morning. From midnight until then the apparent temperature is around 37.

This is according to the weather forecast.

In the real world, however, which for me is this room (the coolest in the house), with the air conditioner on it is now 32 degrees Celsius. For some reason the temperature in here simply will not go lower than that. (I don't think our air conditioner is big enough for the two rooms we are using it to cool, but running two air conditioners would bankrupt us.) If the humidity is, say, 80% (I'm being conservative, I think), this makes the apparent temperature 41 degrees Celsius. That is 105.8 degrees Fahrenheit, in case you were wondering.

And this is why, ladies and gentlemen, at one o'clock in the morning, sitting quietly here at my computer and trying not to move too much, I seem to have acquired a certain equine quality.


Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

(((((you!))))))

No, no maybe not. Theres nothing worse than a hug in the heat. Sorry. I take it back.
Umm, get cold soon?

Badaunt said...

I'm planning to. (Heh heh heh)

melinama said...

We're having heat advisories and ozone alerts (there's information to start your day off right) this week. But the heat bothered me more in New England, where nothing is air-conditioned on the theory that it never is hot there.

melinama said...

You inspired me:
http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/07/its-never-like-this-here.html

Anonymous said...

I will never, ever, ever complain about it being too hot here. It's been kind of warm (and our apartment gets warm at night), but nothing remotely compared to that.

I'll think about ice for you.

Anonymous said...

We're facing record temperatures this week in North Carolina as well. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 105 and a heat index of 110-115. Now how do they figure that? Anything over 100 feels like my hair's going to combust spontaneously anyway, so what's another 10 degrees beyond ON FIRE going to feel like?

I may go broke this month, but the AC will run non-stop. If you can't take the heat any longer, party at my house!