Monday, November 07, 2005

Crows

The crows were out in force this morning as l cycled to work. On every block they were tearing into plastic rubbish bags and hunting for goodies. There was rubbish strewn all over the roads.

In my second class of the day an entire crow family decided to have a meeting outside the classroom in a tree. This interrupted the lesson, as they have very loud voices and like to argue. After a while one crow got bored with the meeting and flew to the railing outside our third floor classroom. It peered in through the window and made mocking noises.

"HA HA HA," it said.

I've been seeing so many crows recently that I sometimes wonder if they are following me around. But I think there are just more of them than there used to be.

Cycling home after work more crows were gathering in the little park as I passed, or perhaps it was the same ones. They were also talking loudly.

"Mrs Tanaka's rubbish wasn't as good as last time," said one.

"Yes, the onigiri was a bit off. I think she finally found the one her son left in his sports bag."

"Oh, so that's why it tasted of old socks."

As I cycled on I looked up and saw a transparent fingernail of moon in the afternoon sky, and felt inexplicably happy.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Beautiful!
Love the last sentence, but the whole post is, for lack of a better description, very smiley.
Thanks for that!

kenju said...

I agree with Cheryl. I saw that same fingernail of a moon tonight!

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

You are very gifted as you not only hear things from crows, you also see things in the moon.

Lippy said...

Well, they say you learn something new every day - I had no idea Japan had crow packs, while we Kiwis have dog packs chewing on our rubbish bags! The mental imagery this conjures is oddly fascinating...

Anonymous said...

Deja vue? But hen was it? Scrolling back, I can't find it.