Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Different

Today as I was cycling to work I noticed a cat, sitting in the weeds alongside the river.


"What a cute cat!" I said, stopping and getting out my camera. "I wonder if it is related to the cat that had something to tell me on Monday?"

"I doubt it," said the cat, and I jumped, startled. Usually I can't understand cats.

"I am not related to anybody," said the cat, moodily. "I am different."


"Oh, er, really?" I said.

"Also," continued the cat, "don't call me cute. I HATE that."

"Oh," I said. "But - "

"I am not cute," said the cat. "I am special."

"I see," I said. "But - "

Then the cat looked at me, and I really did see.


I jumped again.

"Er, sorry," I said.

"Are you REALLY sorry?" asked the cat.


"Yes," I quavered.

"Good," said the cat.

"Um, I think I might be late for work," I said.

"Better hurry, then," said the cat.


I got to work early today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought odd-eyed cats are beautiful. heh~ special indeed!

kenju said...

He's magical!

Ms Mac said...

I agree with Lianne!

Well, I think by now everyone knows my thoughts on cats. But I think even I would have spoken to this particular cat.

s. said...

Doesn't a pure white cat with odd-coloured eyes mean that it's deaf? I'm sure that I 'know' that from somewhere. Perhaps it was asking you to speak up... ;)