Monday, March 05, 2007

What I've been listening to


(iTunes link here)

Did you know that Diocletian was the first Roman Emperor to retire? He was, and after retiring developed a passion for cabbage-growing.

Curriculum Vitae


Name: Dioclês (a.k.a. Diocletianus, a.k.a. Diocletian, a.k.a. Dominus et deus)

Born: A.D. 245

Employment History

- 284: Soldier

284 - 292: Emperor of the Roman Empire

292 - 305: Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire: (Empire too damn big; delegated half to Maximian.)

305 - 312: Cabbage grower

Skills and experience

Semi-divinity, autocracy, repelling barbarian invasions, persecuting Christians, creating martyrs, ending civil war, splitting up empires, growing cabbages

4 comments:

kenju said...

Did all the others get killed while in power? Or did they retire too?

StyleyGeek said...

Did you know (at least one of) your feed(s) ha(s/v)e (this ambiguity is getting irritating!) stopped updating?

I suddenly thought today that maybe it wasn't that you hadn't posted anything in a month, but rather maybe your feed wasn't working, so I dropped by. Imagine my delight to discover entire PAGES of badauntisms to immerse myself in!

[Nips back to Bloglines to find out WHICH feed I am subscribed to].

In fact, it's worse than I thought: there's a whole lot of blogs that were formerly on my bloglines and have vanished entirely! I know I didn't delete you all, so I assume the feed must have been deleted somehow (maybe due to switching to Blogger Beta?).

I will reinstate you now :)

Badaunt said...

Kenju: The others either died or were killed while still in power. I guess when you become divine (or at least semi-divine) you aren't SUPPOSED to retire from divinity.

People tried to persuade Diocletian out of retirement, but he refused. He preferred his cabbages.

Styleygeek: I have been indulging in something known as stealth blogging. Don't tell anyone!

(Actually I don't have a clue what happened. I subscribe to my own feed so I can keep an eye on things, and for a while after I switched to beta it stopped updating. At that time I thought of investigating what had happened, but was busy (or lazy) and then it came back, so I didn't.)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that. Did you know there is a prince in France who has devoted himself to 650 heirloom varieties of tomatoes and runs a tomato festival each September? http://frenchlook.com/jardinier.html