Thursday, April 19, 2007

Clouds

I am tired. Today was a very long day. Tomorrow will be an even longer one.

Actually my classes went well. I could write about them, but it would take too long and I have to get some paperwork done before an early(ish) night. So instead I will tell you the sentence that stuck from the podcasts I listened to on my commute. One of the podcasts was an interview with a cloud scientist, who commented, at one point:

Clouds often weigh 10,000 tons.

I don't know whether to ponder more on that amazing bit of information or on the discovery that there is such an occupation as cloud scientist. Maybe the proper name for the job is geophysicist, or something like that, but that's not the point. If someone had told me when I was a child that it was possible to be a cloud scientist, my life might have turned out very differently.

2 comments:

Lia said...

I somehow doubt that geophysics works with clouds, because of the "geo" part; doesn't it have to be earthy? How about cloudophysicist?

But I would never have guessed clouds could be so weighty! They always seem like cotton candy (candy floss?) to me.

Keera Ann Fox said...

Atmophysicist, perhaps. Wait, "atmologist" is a real word.

I usually go "wow!" at little tidbits like this, but the idea of clouds weighing 10,000 tons is - disconcerting. Whales of the Wind.