Tuesday, July 31, 2007

New technique

Yesterday Mum took us to a quiet spot on the river so we could study Quackery some more.


I'm getting really good at it. I had secretly perfected a new technique, which I call the 'Dead Duck Float.'

I showed mum.


Mum said to stop being silly, but I know she was impressed.


When she went off to her ballet lesson, I overheard her telling her friend about me.


"That's my kid," I heard her say. "Always up to something. She'll be a great Quack Scientist some day."

Her friend looked over at us.


"The one on the rock?" he asked.

(That's how I know they were talking about me.)


I stood up and waved.

"Hi Mum!" I shouted.


"I thought you said they were practicing," said Mum's friend. "Not very obedient, is she?"

He looked disapproving.


I quickly stuck my head back in the water. I didn't want to embarrass my mum.


Silly old man. He's just jealous because all his kids turned out so ordinary.

6 comments:

Paula said...

Nice shots! You are so good at this, Badaunt.

kenju said...

You certainly ARE good at it!!

Bill C said...

Quack science is quite the high calling. Such an achievement would be a real feather in his or her--

Erm.

Anonymous said...

You must've stolen a magic wand from somebody in Harry Potter novels.....those pix are professional quality....and on Blogger....do you reveal the make and model of your camera? or do I insult you by even asking, thus bypassing your talent? --Kay
p.s. I think my comments don't get posted because I forget to choose an id.

Anonymous said...

I love you duck tales.

Badaunt said...

Ms UV, Kenju, and Pearl: Thank you!

RaJ: A feather in her feather?

Kay: It's not a great camera, unless you are thinking about value for money. It is a CHEAP camera, and not an SLR. I got it on sale. It's an Olympus Sp-500UZ. The best things about it are the lens, which I suspect is very good, and the zoom. I really, really want an SLR. A lot of these pictures could be a LOT better.

But the way to get good pictures is to be really, really persistent. And with birds or animals, use the drive function. I take about 50 pictures for every one that's good enough to use. The rest get trashed. It's not so much a question of taking good pictures, it's a question of SELECTING good pictures. I am useless at photography with a film camera. I really need to be able to take a lot, so I can choose, and with film that's too expensive.

(And once you've selected your pictures, stare at them a while until the story pops out at you.)