Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Real service

When you imagine a week-long P&O cruise to Vanuatu, you think of idyllic Pacific islands, blue seas and skies, music, entertainment, and possibly shipboard romance, if you're into that sort of thing. You do not imagine this:

"I saw elderly people banging their heads and splitting them open. The toilets were flooding out with sewage and the lifts weren't working.

"There was only one dining room open so people were queuing for food and there were people wandering round covered in cuts and bruises."
I don't suppose anybody complained about a lack of atmosphere, though. What impressed me the most was how passengers were provided with a musical accompaniment to the weather:
"I was in bed trying to calm myself down when the theme song from Titanic came on TV," said Mr Magee.
Now that is real service!

4 comments:

Bill C said...

"[D]espite warnings". Can you say culpable?

Full refunds indeed.

Lia said...

That's like, however many years back, when they showed Speed on my brother's bus up to summer camp.

Anonymous said...

Well, in Oz P&O cruises are now associated with worse stuff than this: gangs of marginalized young men, pack raping drugged middle aged women while their gang mates photograph the scene. The woman then dies, naked, on the floor in a cabin occupied by some of the gang. P&O crew & officials do their best to cover all of this up.

Playing right now in a Sydney court, and every day in the news. The message is: never take a cruise...

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

This kinda trip would have killed me. I'd have been tossed over board, given a sea burial.
I get sea sick on GOOD days.
Those poor poor people.