Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Side-effect

Down at the river on Monday one of the ducks was mucking around, as usual, when he accidentally swallowed a lead sinker.


The weight dragged him down into the water.


It was terrible. He struggled heroically, and managed to get to the surface again.


Then he tried to escape it by taking to the air, but could not achieve liftoff. The lead sinker was heavy, and was weighing him down too much.


To make matters worse, it had stuck in his throat. This gave him a floatation problem.


Finally he figured out what to do. He took a deep breath, stuck his head in the water, waggled his tail violently. . .


. . . and he coughed.


This expelled the lead sinker from his throat.

"Ahhh!" he said. "That's MUCH better."


"That was quite a nasty surprise," he said as he explained the whole thing to me later. "But it had a rather interesting side-effect. I swallowed a large amount of air just before I coughed, and since then it's been going straight through me."


"Really?" I said. "How unpleasant."

"Oh, no, not really," said the duck. "It's quite useful, really."

"Useful?" I asked doubtfully. "How?"

"I'll show you," said the duck, and he did.

"See?" he said.


"I've become jet-propelled!"

7 comments:

Keera Ann Fox said...

I don't know what's more impressive: The fact that you can talk to ducks (and they talk to you), or the fact that you are able to get all these good photos right when the duck is experiencing its drama! Whichever it is, it made me laugh.

Keera Ann Fox said...

PS: "He" looks like a "she". (And my word verification word is "iworbum" for this comment so I probably shouldn't have said anything.)

Anonymous said...

BadAunt is a genius! Wish it was easier to get published! Thank heavens for blogs....

Faerunner said...

If only the ducks around here had stories like that... but I so rarely see any, being in the middle of town and all, that I suppose they tell all the good stories to someone else!

kenju said...

You are SO clever!!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee... that's got to be one of the best yet! Good thing he coughed up that sinker though.

Badaunt said...

Keera: It looks like a 'she' to me, too, but recently ALL the ducks down at the river look like shes. But it behaved like a 'he', and I was too polite to ask.

Faerunner: If you do happen to see any ducks, point your camera at them and click until you fill up your card. Frequently you can't see the story until you get home and review the pictures.