Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Faces and fry pans

Yesterday I gave a class a speaking test. Before I started the test, one of the students approached me, looking funny.

"Can I have my test first?" she asked. "I have to go to the hospital."

I stared at her, trying to figure out why she looked funny, and decided that she probably had toothache and couldn't think of the word for 'dentist.'

"Oh, that's no good," I said. "Are you all right? We can do your test next week, if you like."

"No, I can do it today," she said. "It's my face. One side doesn't move."

"Is it a tooth problem?" I asked.

"No," she said. "My face. One side can't move."

I called her first, for testing.

When she came through to the other room, where I was doing the tests, I was still worrying about her.

"Are you SURE you're all right with this?" I asked.

"Yes," she said.

"Do you know what caused it?" I asked. "Are you sure it's not a tooth?"

"No, it's my face," she said. "It's stress. I had it before."

"Well, that's not very nice for you," I said. "Let's get this done so you can get to a hospital quickly."

"Thank you," she said.

"And don't get stressed about the test," I said. "You've passed, actually. You've already spoken quite a lot, and I've asked you some questions, and you've answered perfectly!"

She looked startled, then relieved, and then she grinned, and that was when I could see that it was definitely not a tooth, because only one side of her face grinned. The other side stayed perfectly still.

What a strange thing to happen.

---------

In other news, The Man has fixed the fry pan. It has a new handle, and new screws holding the handle on, and it is PERFECT. Not only that, he fixed it using materials he bought from the ¥100 shop.

My hero!

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Sounds like Bell's Palsy, the poor thing.

Lia said...

I like your testing method: subtle, but effective. :)

kenju said...

It does sound like Bell's palsy. Let us know what happens with her.

torrygirl said...

Hey congratulations on rescuing your fry pan! It's nice when you can save much-loved household items instead of replacing them.