Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Absent

On Tuesday one of my students gave me a note at the beginning of class. It was from another student, who was writing to explain why he would be absent. It went like this:

Dear Bald Ant (obviously not exactly this, but a similar mangling of my name),

I'm gonna absent, cuz I have to go work. I'll explane that next week. I'm sorry I should have told you immeditary.

It was sweet of him to let me know in advance that he would be absent. Many of my students don't seem to even notice whether they're in class or not. They are surprised when I fail them for missing half the classes.

It was also sweet of him to give me a giggle in the middle of a long day.

2 comments:

Keera Ann Fox said...

Immeditary. Now, why can't a word like that actually exist in English? I like it!

Kay said...

Another day in paradise, huh! Here is something for you: http://tinyurl.com/67cv4j