Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mystery gull

On Monday, down at the small river behind the place I work, I saw a lot of gulls like the ones I usually see. But I also saw another type of gull, standing alone on a rock.


This gull was a lot larger than the usual ones, and I cannot identify it. Is it a Vega Gull (Larus vegae)? A Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus)?

The gulls I usually see are easy to identify. They are, of course, Larus Ridiculous, which is probably why the mystery gull did not want to hang out with them.

4 comments:

tinyhands said...

If neither a Vega or Mongolian Gull, it could be a Slaty-backed Gull. IMHO, the differences are inconsequential, so call it whatever you like. :)

Keera Ann Fox said...

I'm bad at identifying gulls. All I know is that that red spot means that this adult has or will soon have babies. The chicks aim for that red spot to get the adult to gulp up food. And of course, this will turn out to be one of those breeds that have a red spot permanently.

Anonymous said...

"This gull was a lot larger than the usual ones, and I cannot identify it"
At New Brighten pier, in Christchurch NZ a week ago, there were a lot of these gulls - Elder Daughter insisted they were albatrosses (they are quite big aren't they) while Younger Daughter laughed at her. They were on the beach at Napier too - I've never seen them before, but I hope someone knows just what they are!

Badaunt said...

Tinyhands: I don't suppose it really does matter, but ... well, I like the idea of it being a Mongolian gull. I didn't even know Mongolia had gulls.

Keera: The red spot thing was one of those facts I knew but had forgotten completely. Maybe I'll remember it this time!

Mr Curley: My grandparents used to live in Napier, and when I was very little and staying with them the woman next door to them used to take me down to Marine Parade for a walk and to feed gulls. We'd hit bits of bread with a tennis racket, to make them go higher, and the gulls would catch them midair. It was FUN.

Napier is lovely.