Sunday, November 15, 2009

Idea

The other day as I was waiting for a delayed train a man limped past me along the platform, and I got the inspiration for a series of children's books. Well, a series of titles for children's books, actually. I didn't get as far as thinking of the actual stories.

A couple of nights ago I told The Man about them.

"I had an idea for a series of children's books about disabled animals," I said. "For example, a book called, The Short-Sighted Eagle. And another called, The Dog Who Couldn't Smell Anything."

"Eh?" said The Man, unimpressed.

"The Three-Legged Cheetah," I enthused. "The Fly Who Didn't Like Shit!"

"I think it's a stupid idea," said The Man, sensibly. "What would they be about? Who would want to read them?"

I had to agree, but new titles kept popping into my mind as I fell asleep.

The Noisy Mouse
The Cross-Dressing Lion, Queen of the Jungle
The Slender Pig
The Stupid Owl
The Clean Cockroach
The Weeping Hyena


The Man was right. It was not one of my brighter ideas.

8 comments:

kenju said...

Oh, I'm not so sure. They could be flashed out and be good object lessons for and about disabled children - well all except the cross-dressing lion.....LOL

Hana said...

Love the ideas! I'm sure someone disagreed that "The story of the little mole who knew it was none of his business" was a good idea. You just need to develop some story lines : )

Tamara Marnell said...

I work at the Center for Disability Information and Referral library in Indiana, and I can assure you those books would be a heck of a lot more interesting and useful than the ones that exist. Everybody wants to write picture books about kids in wheelchairs. Few people have the guts to approach other disabilities, unless they give the sidekicks a touch of ADHD for "character."

I can think of a lot of people who would want to read them: parents of children with disabilities to their siblings, teachers to students to discourage discrimination....

I'll tell you what: if you write them, I'll publish them on our kids' website (http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/cedir/kidsweb/booknook.html). Then you'll be famous in the Bloomington, IN area.

Shammi said...

Actually those are lovely ideas! I think they'd make great whimsical little stories for kids (and for some adults) :-)

Pearl said...

I rather like the ideas too. Stories of animals are conforming to genetic type. Reaching out is an extension of the ugly duckling except swans can be more than just a pretty face.

Badaunt said...

The stupid owl! The lazy ant! The hard-working grasshopper! The speedy snail! The fragile ox! The fat-ankled, sturdy gazelle! The gloomy lark! The tin-eared nightingale!

I just can't stop!

(No stories yet, though. Still just titles.)

Nil Zed said...

without going the disability route, these could work still. kids are perverse. Eric Carl has made a career of hungry caterpillars and grouchy ladybugs, perhaps you should suggest these titles to him?

Mega said...

Hi,How lovely titles they are!love it.........