Monday, February 08, 2010

Odd shadows

Today I went for a short bicycle ride (it was too cold to go far) and took a few pictures. This one I took quickly, because the cat was looking purposeful and didn't look like it would stop and pose for me. I didn't expect it to be very good.

On the computer I was surprised to see how unexpectedly lovely the photo turned out, until I noticed what I thought was a smear on the camera lens right across the wall and tree. I looked at my other pictures, and there was nothing. I checked the camera lens, and it looks fine. (I cleaned it anyway.)

The Man and I have been discussing what it might be. We thought it might be a light reflection at first. Then The Man said he thought it was something spray painted along the wall and tree. Then we talked about the shadows going down (on the ground), like the shadows of a fence, and we now wonder whether that line is the shadow of the top of the fence.

I don't remember the fence at all. I was watching the cat. At some point I will have to go back and find out just what was behind me when I took this picture.

In the meantime, what do you think it is?

9 comments:

Badaunt said...

I remembered! I know what the shadow is!

Ha ha ha!

Curley said...

Ohh, a tease!

Your eyelashes, falling over the lens?? :-)

Dávid said...

It looks as if this place had been flooded some time before the picture was taken. The cat has now returned to collect a lost swimsuit. That's why the big hurry. Nice picture:)

tobeornot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tobeornot said...

ahhh.. Curley, Badaunt's eyelashes can't be that sparse. I guess these are shadows of her bicycle's spokes. :)

Curley said...

Yes, you're right - lashes _was_ just a conceit. But spokes... mm... I build wheels your see, and ... even a radially spoked front wheel wouldn't give the effect of the parallelism shown - but a wonderful suggestion, think of the camera angle, and BadAunt's posture on the bike as she took the photo low angle :-)

But there is the faint faint shadow of a rim above the 'spokes'! Maybe, just maybe...

Keera Ann Fox said...

I think Curley nailed it. There is something out of focus in the foreground, and bicycle spokes would fit the bill. That or some kind of fence.

Badaunt said...

Yup, it's a fence, in the foreground. When I took the picture I was on the bicycle and didn't get up close to get between the fence railings (it would have just scared off the cat) and just focused on the cat through them instead. When I got home and looked at the picture on the computer I didn't notice the railings at first, and then when I did had completely forgotten about the fence. Then I saw the picture from a distance, and suddenly remembered.

Good guesses!

Live Labyrinth said...

When I first looked at it I thought to myself - looks like the photo’s been printed funny, it took less than a second before realization dawned that it was a digital image...idiot lol.